Sunday, January 18, 2015

Verdict: tiny adorable birds = guilty, Biobabbler = innocent


One thing I learned in 2014: it's not my fault.

All the times I sowed seeds to fill my iris bed
(with plants that would bloom when the irises were done)
and ended up with nothing but weeds,
I thought it was me.

More than once I sowed and planted,
and watered and waited,
and watched and watered and waited.

And nothing.

Zero new flowering plants, just a boring, perennial line of iris blades.

Therefore, I was a lame gardener.

But this year, I am redeemed!
The birds totally ate the seeds.
How do I know this?

"Your Honor, I would like to submit exhibits A and B."

Exhibit A:

Sites where I did not protect the seeds from birds.
 Look how tidy and clean and plant-less it all is...

And, Exhibit B:

Site where I did protect the seeds from birds.
Rows of baby plants. Cute little tinsies (and a few weeds), bursting with promise. A miracle.

This may have changed my life.

I am not a hopelessly unskilled gardener.
I can make things grow,
I can fill out my iris beds
with things that will bloom after spring,
providing DH & I lovely sights (incl. bugs) to admire for months and months.

Hooray!!!

xoxoxobb

6 comments:

  1. Congrats!
    Always exciting to see babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Those birds are devious, aren't they? A friend of mine who keeps a few chickens learned the hard way not to let the chickens into his carrot patch. At least, not if he wants any carrots. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% I finally had to ban my hen from our garden. Sad, 'cause she loves it, but I'd actually like to get some produce from my labors. =)

      Delete
  3. Yeehaw! Growth! I think this is the first year I will be able to attempt gardening. I am happy. I am sceeeeered. What if my green thumb doesn't exist? I have much learning to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I've learned from MUCH wiser folks is just try SOMEthing. Anything. =)

      Delete
  4. yay! baby plants!! i like to play in the dirt. i like to plant plants. it's exciting to watch those tiny plants push through the ground from a seed YOU planted! :) if you weed though...don't let that slide for too long...like i do...they have a tendency to take over pretty fast! (although some of the weeds do attract nice butterflies!)

    ReplyDelete

Cool people write inside rectangles....