Sunday, April 25, 2010

humming bird feeder...

 
Got this from a friend of mine (wildlife biologist--Thanks!! =) ). I've NEVER put one up in my life, but figured I'd try it out.

Truly, those of you who know me and my amazing powers of procrastination, this is a minor miracle.

And I put it close enough to the window that I might get some decent pics for y'all.




We'll see.

Check out the super cool mirror images of the trees, with the sky in between. I assume this is due to convex and concave surfaces, plus the wonders of water, or something? Anyone? Any enlightenment here would be appreciated (all you physics phans).

Anyone has any h-bird feeder advice, I'm all ears. For starters, how often do you change the water? I know mold & bacteria are anathema, so every 2 days? Thoughts? I really want it in the sun so I can see h-bird colors best.

the biobabbler

2 comments:

  1. This can answer a few questions:
    http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migratorybirds/webcam/hummingbirds.cfm

    I've heard that you should change the feeder maybe twice a week, especially if it's in the sun all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! I first read this as twice a day--ugh! Twice a week, well, that's more reasonable. Just boiled up a new batch which is cooling.

    No takers yet. I'm pretty sure they have to map it first, then word gets around...

    Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check that out.

    ReplyDelete

Cool people write inside rectangles....