Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Divide and conquer... and encounter Lepidopterans!

Spent almost 4 hours yesterday working on coop divider technology. That'd involve sawing, thinking, sketching, sawing, gluing and hammering.



This relates to the biobabbler blog 'cause a) it's chicken-related, but mostly because b) once I get my chickens into the same coop, I can reclaim the chicken run and return it to a GARDEN. And that I am SO going to blog about.

So, the above is the divider for the largest part of the coop interior. Thrilling, I know. =)

As it happens, of course, I encountered nature. And thus have ANOTHER MYSTERY MOTH! =)


Resting between the two plywood boards I'd placed against our house was this creature.


Whom I then discovered was d.e.d. (that's "dead" to normal people).

Here's a shot of his/her underside (toes up):

And one last shot of our dear departed moth friend.


That's where I lay him out to rest (to eventually be discovered by Moby Chick, nabbed, and run off with to munch in peace). So now the moth is part of a large, happy white chicken, and got to take a fabulous dust bath yesterday, to the sound of a crosscut saw zipping through particle board.

So, moth-people, any guesses?

Thanks in advance!

biobabbler

2 comments:

  1. I know this one! Noctua pronuba - an invasive species introduced to the east coast from Europe a few decades ago. Not a horrible invasive, they feed mostly on grasses and are common around houses/lawns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Thank you so much, skepticalmoth!

    It's always great to learn who is in our neighborhood and tho' I was surprised to learn its' a non-native, I'm glad to hear it doesn't seem to have plans for world domination. =)

    Thanks very much for your brain. =)

    ReplyDelete

Cool people write inside rectangles....