Wednesday, June 2, 2010

This is your brain, on bio: gonadotropin.

One LAST post (mid-laundry loads and packing). Here's the word stuck in my head this a.m.: gonadotropin.

This seems to be how my brain works. I learn a word (many specifically in college relating to biology). Then I don't use the word for years.

Then my brain spits it up, repeating it over and over, apropos of NOTHING, and seems to indicate: Look this up or I'm pitching it. We no longer have the definition, and it's covered in dust, so dust it off, or it's GONE.

Today's word repeating itself is gonadotropin. Apparently they are protein hormones produced by the pituitary gland in vertebrates, and included among them are hormones involved in human reproduction (lutinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone).

Now that I've looked it up, perchance it will return to the shelf?

If I DON'T look it up, I firmly believe my brain chucks it, and it's no longer part of me. And that's a waste of educational time and $, yes?

So, thank you wikipedia for the quick definition as I fly through the a.m. Hopefully gonadotropin is now in the "keep" pile.


Does your brain ever do this? (the process, not the specific word, of course) Do tell.

biobabbler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool people write inside rectangles....