Thursday, April 21, 2011

2 wildflowers I'd never seen before at Hite Cove

 

California Indian pink, Silene californica.
Total stunner in the wild.
If it's in the sun, it fairly screams with bright orange-red pigment.
Awesome!


Calochortus albus, white globe lily.
Almost walked right past it: subtle in the shady grass.
I don't think I'd ever seen it in person, before,
but when my eyes alit, my brain said "Calochortus albus."
And, wonder of all wonders, it was right! Sweet.

Well, to be honest, my brain said Calochortus alba,
but that's what the Interweb is for.

I'm pretty sure I'd never seen EITHER of these on that trail before, so that was very exciting. Maybe 'cause I'm usually feeling like I've hit peak-spring-mit-Kamera by mid-to-late March vs. now, mid-April.

So, have any of you seen species recently you've not seen before? Or had the experience of seeing a species for the first time but knowing exactly what it was 'cause of quality time spent with field guides?

Do tell.

In the meantime, I'll be working on a Mumday follow-up post where I identify all the Mumday wildflower species for you (and struggling with a random iPhoto problem that's cropped up and is BUGGIN').

=)

bb

P.S. Any other guesses on last week's quiz?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool people write inside rectangles....