Wednesday, May 18, 2011

just ordered a TON of seeds 4 the garden...

  
Totally excited.

The joy of garden planning:
images in your mind of swaying choruses of bright sunflowers,


cathedrals of pole beans clambering higher and higher,
pumpkin & melon vines crawling low,
ferreting out unclaimed patches of sunshine,




and the sweetest, richest tomato ever, cut up in your bowl,
still warm, swilling aged Balsamic vinegar.


And other delightful produce.

And all the buggy friends we make along the way.


Ah.....

And then they arrive, those potent packets of potential.
So exciting! Time to embark!

Then I'll read the directions of the first packet.

Envision the work I have to do:
add ash, compost, manure to the soil
when to plant,
how deep should the seeds go, how far apart,
thin the seedlings when and how far apart,
early vs. later watering needs (we don't get rain),
the pH the plant prefers (vs. what we have),
potential bug or fungal foes and ways to foil them,
do I treat the seed before planting it
(soak, scarify, refrigerate, inoculate),
do I stake,
prune,
fertilize,
shade it,
& if so, when?

Okay, it'll seem like a lot. But, doable. And worth it.

Then I'll read the next packet. And its instructions.

And the next one.

And the next.


Until I freeze. Overload.

And stare out the window at the garden, asea. 

I'll never get it all done.


And I'll take a break.

Maybe for the rest of the day.

Maybe a week. Maybe more.


But, eventually, on an irrationally cheerful day...


it begins again.

=)


Every year is a new beginning.


And I can't wait!


xoxobb

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! And oh so accurate.
    Sadly I never seem to have those irrationally cheerful days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =) Hee. Glad to hear it's not just me. This is every year. Some times the gardening-block is broken by Bear suggesting I just spend "five minutes in the garden and see what happens." Three hours later I return dirty, tired, and happy. Do you actually have a garden down there in your African wild expanse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No real garden. Anything growing outside the fence is nibbled into non-existence by the local wildlife and anything inside is peed-on until it succumbs, by my territory-conscious dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah. Well, that makes all the sense in the world. =)

    ReplyDelete

Cool people write inside rectangles....