Thursday, July 28, 2011

"the cooking ape"

 
I actually laughed and clapped at the end, despite being alone in my house. So delightful.

Harvard Thinks Big 2010 - Richard Wrangham - 'Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human' from HTB2 on Vimeo.


This dude rocks.

If you don't know, my most serious academic and intellectual dalliance was in evolution and human behavior (before I went all conservation-biology-NPS-save-the-planet-y), so I am familiar with Richard Wrangham and love, love, LOVE thinking about this sort of stuff.

*happysigh*

In fact, my first night out of California was spent attending a meeting of the Human Behavior and Evolution Society (HBES) when I was 20 years old.


Thanks SO much to Carl Zimmer for cluing me in to his super-interesting article in Discover Magazine. It's a full-on 5-star article on the bb-scale, A Body Fit for a Freaky-Big Brain.


FYI, to get 5 stars from bb, you gotta
  • write something I see as of now or later, vs. 15 minutes ago, since I just made up this 5 star thing up,
  • write something I find fascinating
  • write in such a way that it's EASY for me to rip through, given my ADD-nature, this is no small task
  • not write in such a way that I think your statements are questionable, based on little or low-quality data, or dependent upon questionable (and, worse, also unstated) assumptions
  • preferably supply references so I can dig further (also handy if I'm not yet convinced)

Seriously. This has made my day.


Brain happy.


And well and efficiently fed.

xoxoxo

bb

1 comment:

Cool people write inside rectangles....