Saturday, May 1, 2010

Shark fin harvesting ban passed in Hawaii!

    
Thank goodness this happened! Sharks are slow breeders and hugely important to marine ecology. I don't know this, but if the terrestrial models apply, then I am guessing they moderate competition among their prey species, helping to keep species richness of those species higher than would otherwise be the case.

I ate shark (not fin) one time in college before I knew about how unsustainable shark hunting was (and I don't think that's changed at all), and haven't had it since.



ANYhow, finning is practically a poster-child for insanely unsustainable and egregiously wasteful harvesting practices, so I am very grateful this passed in Hawaii. Very, very.

Now, we just need the REST of the world to do the same.

biobabbler

P.S. Of course, huge thanks to Christie Wilcox for spreading the good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool people write inside rectangles....