Saturday, June 16, 2012

mmm, petioles....


Strawberry rhubarb pie.

A.k.a. Fragaria x ananassa Rhea rhababarum-petioles pie.

Per Wiki:
In botany, the petiole (play /ˈptɨl/) is the stalk attaching the leaf blade to the stem.[1] 

Apparently rhubarb leaves are poisonous,
but other parts have a powerful laxative effect.


Again, wiki:

"Its roots have been used as a laxative for at least 5,000 years.[13]
The roots and stems are rich in anthraquinones, such as emodin and rhein. These substances are cathartic and laxative, which explains the sporadic use of rhubarb as a dieting aid."


Messy.
(oh, really did not plan the laxative then "Messy" comment/photo. pardon.)

Only recently did folks start eating the petioles
'cause sugar was super expensive, and ya need a lot.

I decided that my weird summer cold (never get them) needed vitamin C
and other intangible ferocious plant compounds,
so I'd bust out this pie to heal myself.

Very interesting factoid re: rhubarb's value, of yore, also from Wiki:

"A measure of the value set upon rhubarb can be gotten fromRuy Gonzáles de Clavijo's report of his embassy in 1403-05 to Timur inSamarkand: 'The best of all merchandise coming to Samarkand was from China: especially silks, satins, musk, rubies, diamonds, pearls, and rhubarb....'

Diamonds, pearls, and rhubarb.* Cool, eh? =)

One of my favorite bosses informed me years ago, much to my delight,
"Pie was originally a breakfast food."

"'Cause rhubarb is a girl's best friend!"

Take that, cooties!

bb


*If anyone starts a gardening blog and calls it Diamonds, pearls, and rhubarb, I want credit. =)

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea - feed a cold with pie! Genius! I'll have to try that next time =)

    ReplyDelete

Cool people write inside rectangles....