Monday, April 4, 2011

Joshua Tree NP - NOT going to get dumped! YAY!

  
As far as I can tell, this is REALLY good news.

I learned about the proposed project many years ago when I was at an NPS training and a guy from that park talked about it. WOAH. It was HUGE.

According to the NPCA it was going to be the largest dump in the U.S.,
right next to the park.


Wow. Scary stuff, ecologically speaking.

From the NPCA announcement:

"...the Supreme Court has announced that it will not hear an appeal from Kaiser Ventures, LLC, the corporation seeking to build the dump. This decision confirms a 2009 U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decision, overturning the land exchange necessary for the development of the dump."

This is really good news.


Joshua Tree National Park
is one of the most enchanting places I've ever been.

And I don't talk like that a lot: I'm a science dork.

 
But, this place is amazing.

If you've never been there, for heaven's sake GET THERE
and bring ANYONE who will come along.
Of course, I recommend spring and fall. =) 


Something about this place makes me want to walk. For DAYS.
It's a walkabout siren, for sure.

So, I'd like to say,

PHEW!

And HOORAY to everyone who helped make this ending
an ecologically happy one.

 

They helped assure that this hawk has clean digs.

=)

So if, by any chance, YOU helped,

THANK YOU!

Nice work.

bb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool people write inside rectangles....