Wednesday, December 25, 2013

There's magic in the air...

…and possibly in these pouches packed with promise. 


Ills they are alleged to address:
anemia, gastritis, gall bladder problems, ovary issues,
menopause, lung ailments, gout, lagging circulation,
liver troubles, unhappy colons,
and, of course, cancer.

I certainly hope it is true.
Given all the things plant compounds can do for and to us,
there's certainly plenty of potential.


It's so surprising when you learn of non-human animals
using plants to aid themselves (other than eating them),
like rats who line their nests with rosemary.
Rats with rosemary-festooned nests have fewer fleas
than rats that eschew the pungent herb.

That is how I learned to decorate the coop w/rosemary.
Which means I learned it from rats.

I hope the rats out there know, somehow,
that their botanical knowhow is responsible for my happy hens.

Might not be magic, but it's pretty amazing to me.

xoxobb

2 comments:

  1. Out here the native woodrats collect bay laurel leaves to put in their houses to suppress ectoparasites. And sometimes eucalyptus if a tree happens to be near. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just had a lovely tour through your trail of photos and your light humorous touch with words...Thank you! and a fine and happy new year to you.

    ReplyDelete

Cool people write inside rectangles....